As a classical music fan , I am fond of attending live classical music concerts. Over last few years , I have been able to attend some of the prestigious classical music festivals all across India, including almost all the classical music festivals in Pune for past 3 years.
Typically the Indian Classical music festival season begins in late September and goes on till May. Though there are numerous concerts in various auditoriums all across India , all year long, these festivals have a special meaning for an Indian Classical Music connoisseur.
Here is a compiled list of major Indian Classical music festivals , arranged monthly starting September.
Chaturprahar festival , held at National Centre for Performing Arts (NCPA) in Mumbai
1) ITC Sangeet Research Academy,festival just before the Durga Puja, Kolkata
2) Aundh Sangit mahotsav : Ashwin vadya Panchami of every year ( in October) , Aundh near Satara
1) Surshree Kesarbai Kerkar Sangeet Samaroha, Panjim by the Kala Academy Goa November 1st week
2) Sawai Gandharva Jayanti Festival, Mid November, Kundagol (birth place of Sawai Gandharva)
3) Pandit Motiram Pandit Maniram Sangeet Samaroh, Nov 27-30, Hyderabad
1) ITC Sangeet Research Academy,winter festival, Kolkatta
2) Gunidas Sangit Mahotsav ,Dec 1st week, Mumbai
3) Ut Rahimat Khan Festival , Dec 1st week , Dharwad
4) SawaiGandharva Music Festival , 2nd week of Dec , Pune
5) Tansen Samaroh , Dec 3rd week , Gwalior
6) Harivallabh Sangit Sammelan , Dec 4th week , Jalandhar
7) Swami Haridas Music Festival by Sur Singar Samsad, Mumbai
1) Saptak festival, 1-13 January. Ahmedabad.
2) Vasantotsav , 2nd week of Jan , Pune
3) Swar-Zankar Festival , 3rd week of Jan , Pune
4) Doverlane Music Conference, week of January 26th,Kolkata
5) Taal-Chakra Rhythm Festival , 4th week of Jan , Pune
6) Hridayesh Festival , 2nd-3rd week of Jan , Mumbai
1) Gaan-Saraswati Mahotsav , 1st week of Feb , Pune
2) Pt Jitendra Abhisheki Mahotsav, Late Feb , Pune
3) Sabrang Utsav is a single-day Indian classical music festival held in memory of the Ut Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Delhi
1) Sri Rama Seva Mandali music festival , Chamarajpet, Bengaluru starting from New Year day (Ugadi) and goes on for a month or so.
2) Dagdusheth Ganpati Sangeet Mahotsav,Pune Gudi-Padva to Ram Navami
3) Omkar Bedekar Ganpati Sangeet Mahotsav, PuneGudi-Padva to Ram Navami
4) ITC Sangeet Research Academy,spring festival, Kolkata
1) Dr Vasantrao Deshpande memorial Concerts ,Chinchwad
2) AlladiyaKhan Music Festival , April , Chembur (Mumbai)
May 7th-8th Pt Sangameshwar Gurav Music Festival , Pune
Pandit G Madhav Bhat Smruti Sangeet Samaroh, Sunday which falls immediately after 18 July every year, UDUPI
Pune is the hot spot for Indian Classical Music festivals from the month of December to February; every weekend one can attend a good music festival or series of concerts !